Federal grants are a helpful financial sum that can be awarded to many different types of parties for many different types of needs. Many businesses, organizations, individuals, and non-profits are given federal grants annually and the difference they make is able to help them survive and even thrive.
But Who Is Eligible For A Federal Grant?
Are they given to just anyone or are there specific rules and regulations that decide which applicants are given and denied these grants?
It’s critical to figure out who is eligible to apply for and get a government grant. If a group or person is not legally qualified for a certain financing opportunity, they will spend a lot of time and money filling out the application just to find out that you are not eligible for the award. If you are a part of one of these organizations, it is smart to study the rules beforehand so you know your chances at landing a federal grant.
There are many types of organizations generally eligible to apply for funding opportunities on the official website located at Grants.gov. Each type of organization is listed on that site. Here are just some of the ones you will find there.
- State governments
- County governments
- City or township governments
- Special district governments
- Native American tribal governments (federally recognized)
- Native American tribal governments (other than federally recognized)
- Independent school districts
- Public and state controlled institutions of higher education
- Private institutions of higher education
Public Housing Authorities
- Public housing authorities
- Indian housing authorities
- Nonprofits having a 501(c)(3) status with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), other than institutions of higher education
- Nonprofits that do not have a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education
Additionally, individuals may submit applications and may be awarded them too. There are multiple reasons why an individual would apply for a federal grant but most of the applicants that attempt to get a grant from the government are doing so on behalf of an organization, company, government, or institution. However, if you are registered with only an individual applicant profile, you are only allowed to apply to funding for individuals. Only official groups are able to apply for group grants.
Another major and important type is the Federal Pell Grant. You have likely heard of this type of grant before. A Federal Pell Grant is ideal for students and is used by millions of college applicants every year. Pell Grants are a type of federal financial aid that might help you pay for education. The money you obtain from Federal Pell Grants does not have to be repaid, unlike loans. Undergraduate students are often eligible for Pell Grants.
Although many groups and organizations apply, the largest source of federally funded grants is the Federal Pell Grant. For the 2020-2021 academic year, the maximum amount given in a Federal Pell Grant is $6,345.